The American Red Cross was founded in 1881 and is the premier emergency response
organization for the United States and offers worldwide humanitarian care. President Roosevelt
first declared March as National Red Cross month in 1943, and every president since has
continued the tradition. The Red Cross operates completely on donations - it has no funding by
As you reflect on the impressive list of services provided by the American Red Cross below,
please consider these ways to help.
- Disaster Services including Medical, food, water, financial assistance and emergency accommodations.
- Blood Services for more than 3,000 US hospitals
- Communication Services for serving members of the military and their families during special events.
- Health and Safety Services - Preparedness training including: CPR, Swimming, Life Guarding, HIV and blood borne pathogens among many others.
- International Services - Helping vulnerable people worldwide experiencing, preventing or preparing for disasters or other complex humanitarian emergencies.
- Volunteer and Youth Services - There are numerous opportunities for assisting the American Red Cross or Junior Red Cross.
- Nursing - More than 30,000 paid and volunteer nurses serving in all capacities throughout the American Red Cross.